The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins So, apparently the sequel to this book just came out, so i've been hearing so much of; "omg i just HAVE to find out what happens next!!" and all that. Somehow, this book slipped right under my radar and i hadn't read it.And i'm sitting here wondering how the heck such an awesome book slipped completely by without me noticing.I mean, really, this was totally reminiscent of book 8 of D.J. MacHale's Pendragon series. The Quillan Games?? Very similar.So, in this book (which is very post-apocalypse, by the way) what was once North America is now a city of 13 (well, now 12) districts and the Capital city.Each year, to flaunt their power and keep the people in line, the Capital has what's called 'The Hunger Games" a competition with 25 competitors from ages 12-18 and winning means life. Losing... is death.The main character, Katniss, is really the kind of character i've been missing. I love the hard, solemn, but like-able female characters. Those tend to be my favorites.Katniss, a 16 year old girl, keeps her family alive by hunting in the woods (an illegal practice) with her best friend, Gale. I can say, right now, i am a Gale fan. I mean, really, anyone named after bread (Peeta) i just can't fall in love with the same way....When Katniss' little sister's name is drawn for the Games, she volunteers to take her place. Something completely unheard of.Peeta is the male competitors name that's called. As said... wasn't a huge fan of him...So, Katniss and Peeta face political strife and their fellow competitors in the Games, fighting for survival in an arena where the climate and circumstances can change if the viewers at home are getting bored.This really was an excellent book. Definitely lived up to the hype, and that's not something that happens often.5/5 stars.Now i can't wait to read Catching Fire!!!!!!