The Emperor's Soul

The Emperor's Soul - Brandon Sanderson The second of the novella's that Sanderson released this year, this one is by far the better of the two (it's also longer at 175 pages). Of course, this one is fantasy whereas the other one had a modern setting that I was not as fond of. Though the physical copy was on the pricey side, it was well worth the money spent. In a handful of pages, and a setting that is basically static, Sanderson creates a wonderfully complex world and magic system (a trait that we all have come to love about his work). The majority of the novella takes place in the single room that Shai is contained to, yet the story is still rich and the worldbuilding is real. It was actually stunning how much detail was injected into the world in such a short story. The magic system set up is one of Forging which is a great deal more complex than can be summed up; a great deal of my favourite passages were those in which Shai is describing how Forgery works at its base. I do admit that i felt the sense of urgency that was supposed to be in the novella was a bit lacking - but that was likely a problem that could be chalked up to length. I found myself wishing that this was a full length novel because Shai is a protagonist that i would adore reading more about (she reminded me a bit of Vin from Mistborn. Sanderson does seem to love his thieving types which I appreciate because I love them too). As a whole though, it was a wonderful read that only took about an hour and a half. It's definitely a must buy for those who are in for the long wait for the next Stormlight book.