Mastiff (Beka Cooper Series #3)

Mastiff - Tamora Pierce Ok, a note to people who’ve read the whole series but, like me, didn’t remember everything that happened in Bloodhound because it’s been so long since it came out - Holbourn is not a character you should know! The beginning of this book started out at a funeral and I spent a good deal of the first 20 pages confused because I thought I was really forgetting something in the last book. Ah, but no, this book is set quite some time after Bloodhound so in reality there’s not a whole lot of connections between the two. The Beka Cooper series has always been one of my favourites of Tamora Pierce’s series’. She’s my favourite author, I’ve read her books my whole life and each one is just great. What makes these stand apart is that they’re the first series that Tamora Pierce has ever written in first person. They’re written in diary form, which, for some reason, just works better than straight first person, because it’s giving the author a reason to use first person and acknowledge the reader. In Mastiff, Beka with Achoo and Pounce, Tunstall, the lady knight Sabine, and a mage, Farmer, are sent on a Hunt to find the kidnapped prince. Magic is involved, making this a Hunt far more dangerous than anything that Beka would come across in the lower parts of Corus. One of my favourite parts about this one was the addition of the mage Farmer to the group. He was great and having him involved in the group showed a kind of magic that we really haven’t seen in Tamora Pierces’ books before. Because they were dealing with so many mages, Farmer was needed to use his own magic on many occasions. And Tamora Pierce’s magic system is actually one of my favourites. The book is faced paced, especially the second half. The threat of a traitor in the group and their enemies doing everything in their power to stop them made things desperate. I’ll be honest, there’s a twist at the end that I’m not a huge fan of. It was shocking, but I’m not entirely sure that it was necessary? I’m not sure, I’ll have to consider it more. Beka is an amazing protagonist, though. She’s very distinct from all of Tamora Pierce’s other ladies (I would say of any of them, she’s similar the most to Kel personality wise). She keeps to herself and she does her job. Her personality matches the job that she does. I do love her a lot. Also, the end thought it nice to drop a nostalgia bomb on me by reconnecting the trilogy to George Cooper. As Beka Cooper was George’s ancestress, the end of this book (marking the end of the series) tied back to him. I think I was, 12, maybe when I read The Song of the Lioness quartet the first time? So, having a few pages with George was amazing. All in all it was a fantastic book. Easily the best of the three.