The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1)

The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1) - So, I’ve seen this series floating around for a while now, but never really heard if they were good or not…. And, I dunno I kind of see why now. I enjoyed this book, there were aspects of it that I really liked, and then there were aspects of it that were just plain bad. So, I guess I’ll just start with the good, then…Because the story deals a lot with the idea of every single mythology and fable being real. There was a race of Elders that predate the humans (those we know as gods; Morrigan, the Egyptian gods, ect.). This was really cool as well as my favourite aspect of the story. The way the myths were woven into the story was a great concept. It was just executed really poorly.Because there was so much to explain basically everything was plot exposition. And it was usually really bad exposition. There was no showing and everything was telling. I felt like I was being explained every little detail when I didn’t really need to know it, or felt like I could just be showed it later. In all honesty, all the book was was one paragraph explaining things after another. Because of that, the characters that weren’t Elders or other races were totally lost. By that I mean the twins… you know… the main characters of the series. They didn’t stand apart from each other and they were drastically overshadowed by their Elder counterparts. (Scathach, the Warrior Maiden, was really the only part I truly loved about this book… and even then she wasn’t even shown as well as she could have been). I mean, the concept of this book was great. The plot was good too. The human twins are wrapped up in this world of myth and magic and now apparently they are part of this grand prophecy and it’s up to them to stop the return of the Dark Elders. I loved the concept. It was just that the writing was so heavy handed and so blatantly bad at points that I found myself cringing at it. The twins had atrocious dialogue. It’s one thing to throw unsuspecting characters into a world of magic and have them follow along. It’s another thing to make every single word they say make them look utterly unintelligent. Also, there were so many point of view jumps that i found myself frequently lost with who the book was following. There was this awkward mix of pop culture references mixed in with the mythology. I don’t know if it was the authors attempt to be relevant while throwing all this ancient stuff in his novel, but it didn’t work. I actually could have done without the references as they really were not needed. I’m just struggling with my mixed feelings about this, because I figure I’ll keep reading the story. I mean, eventually he’ll have explained all there is to explain and maybe the twins will become actual characters. This is a long series, I’m aware, so I understand that the purpose of this book was to set up the rest of the series. I just wish that it hadn’t felt like I was condescendingly being led through the plot. As if I wouldn’t understand anything if I was not explained every minute detail. Like, the magic system set up wasn’t even complex, and yet it had to be explained multiple times. It wasn’t necessary. I didn’t need to have that information tossed at me every few pages. Everything was lost underneath the information dumps that would happen every few pages… I’ll probably continue on in the series in an optimistic hope that the characters will actually become characters and the info dumps will become less… this book was enjoyable as a quick read, but it could have been a whole lot better.