Prospero Lost: Prospero's Daughter, Book I

Prospero Lost - L. Jagi Lamplighter I'm legitimately bothered by the amount of negative reviews I'm seeing for this book. Personally, i was drawn to this book by the absolute gorgeous cover and the promise of Shakespearian characters. Fashioned 500 years after the events in The Tempest, Miranda is the head of her families business and the only one of her father's children to remain loyal to the family. As a handmaiden of Eurynome (I am going to blatantly guess on most of the spellings because it would take me forever to search the book for the proper spellings of the names.), Miranda has been gifted with immortal life for herself and for her family. Personally, I'm kind of in love with this book. It was this intriguing mix of urban fantasy and ancient lore. I loved how the story was woven so that Miranda's memories of times long past were woven into the modern setting. A lot of characters from Shakespeare made appearances and most of the names of Miranda's siblings were from other stories. A fault i did have with the book was it's pace. It had a tendency to meander, taking too long to describe detail and not push the plot forward enough. With that said, the detail was very vivid, just at times it was too much. I really don't need two pages worth of describing what the elves were wearing at the feast, just a paragraph or so will suffice. Another fault is that Miranda's narration did get on my nerves every so often. She was a bit flighty with her emotions which didn't quite make sense when she was supposed to be centuries old. Of course, it's difficult to capture that kind of immortal aura, especially when you're using the character as the main voice. The story was beautiful though. The lore was fantastic. Granted, at times it was a bit difficult to follow because there was this notion that the reader would be able to keep up, so sometimes things aren't explained fully. Because i read these kinds of books regularly, i kept up just fine, but i could see someone in unfamiliar territory have a problem with the book.All of these pale in my enjoyment of the book. I loved the entire Prospero family, even though all of them seemed to have a hidden agenda (at least, the ones that we met in this book) Mephisto was, admittedly, my favourite. Constantly we were reminded of the fact that he was mad, but every so often he seemed to have moments of sheer clarity. A split personality, so to speak. He was also adorable. I did love him. I loved just the idea of it all, the dread sorcerer Prospero making staves for his children, each with a different power. Miranda's flute can control the Aerie spirits. Mephisto's staff can summon magic creatures. Logistilla's staff can change the form of creatures.... and so on and so forth. Problem being is that Prospero is missing and demons from hell are after the children's staves. It's all very dramatic. All very lovely. I kind of adore this book. I think it was executed brilliantly and i'm so looking forward to reading the next one. It read like a careful work of art, very beautifully but not without it's faults and flaws. I loved it.