Deathless

Deathless - Every so often a book comes along that gets its barbs underneath your skin in such a way that you know that you’ll read it and reread it for years to come. This was definitely one of those books. I had a friend tell me that she had to throw the book down on multiple occasions because this book is full of words that she did not write. And while that may sound like a strange sentiment, it really is true for a writer reading this. This book is basically perfection and I also had to put it down a few different times just because the words were so perfect. Deathless is, essentially, a fairytale. A Russian fairytale to be more specific. That makes itself obvious from the first page. It’s a fairytale of the darkest nature though, written in the richest way possible. I don’t even know how to review it to be quite honest? It was beautiful, the words were beautiful. The story was beautiful. I went into reading it only knowing that it was beautiful and to be honest that’s how I think it should be. All I can note in less serious manner is that my evil boyfriend obsession is appeased and more in this book, thus making it transcendent in my eyes. Catherynne M. Valente knows how to write words, beautiful words, terrible words. Words made of blood. He followed the trail of bodies. This book is heartbreaking and terrible and absolutely wonderful, and that’s really all I can say.Horribly, beautifully, wonderful.